Disclaimer: The reviewer has received the product/service at a reduced price or for free. I am being compensated to participate in #Switch2Swerve challenge through the Bookieboo Influencer Network . I will switch out my regular sweetener to Swerve Sweetener from November 18, 2013 through December 20, 2013. All opinions are my own and are my honest opinions based on my own experience with the product. There are also links below to products I recommend from companies I have a referral relationship with. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Do you love apple pie but have issues with the sugar in it?
This apple pie for diabetics recipe is perfect for anyone who has blood glucose issues or even someone who is looking for a zero calorie sweetener without all the artificial ingredients.
My Thoughts On Artifical Sweeteners
I have never been a fan of artificial sweeteners.
I feel they cause more problems than they solve however I have started having blood glucose issues so I decided to look into what options were out there.
I heard about Swerve Sweetener being made from a unique combination of fruits and vegetables and I wanted to know more as this sounded like a great option for me.
So last night I made an apple pie using the new Swerve Sweetener I received in the mail.
I made the same recipe I made about a month ago using cane sugar.
I wanted to see how well the Swerve Sweetener worked in baking compared to regular cane sugar.
I also wanted to see if I could notice a difference in taste.
My pie came out great and it tasted good too even the whipped cream I made using the Swerve Sweetener tasted great on top of the pie.
In fact, there was no noticeable difference in the way the pie tasted or looked.
I am convinced Swerve Sweetener really does work as well as cane sugar.
Here is my recipe.Print
- 8 apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- 4 tablespoons real butter
- 6 Tablespoons new Swerve Sweetener
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Stir in the vanilla bean paste, add the cinnamon and mix well.
- Add the apples to the pan, stirring as you go so they all get coated in the butter and vanilla mixture.
- Sprinkle the Swerve Sweetener and flour on top of the apples.
- Mix again and cook the apples over medium heat for five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the first pie crust in the bottom of the pie pan. Press the edges to the top of the pan. If you are using a pie crust that is pre-formed, you can skip this step.
- Scoop the filling into the pie crust. Determine if you intend to add a second pie crust or bake it like it is.
- Add the second crust to the top if desired and pinch the edges together. If you intend to bake it just like it is, remember you do need to cut a few slits in the top of the crust to vent it if you use a full pie crust on top. I chose to use miniature cookie cutters to cut shapes into the top of my pie crust dough, then used some of those shapes on top of the dough. A little water painted onto the back of the dough shapes with a food grade paintbrush helps them adhere to the crust. Another option is to make a lattice pie crust for the top.
- Cover the edges of the pie crust with a pie crust cover or foil so it doesn’t burn while the rest of the pie is baking.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake it. I bake my apple pie at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. The amount of time can vary depending on where you live and your oven. Pre-cooking the apples as we did allowed for less time baking the pie because the apples are already soft.
- Remove from the oven when the pie is done. Allow it to cool. Slice and top with whipped cream.
Remember – Swerve measures out cup for cup just like sugar, so you don’t have to worry about doing any crazy math to figure out how to use it in your recipes.
Here are some other delicious apple desserts:
Be sure to take a moment to download your free printable recipe card. The card is is standard 3 inch by 5 inch design with blank lines that you can print onto card stock, write your favorite recipes on and add to your personal recipe collection.
I highly recommend the following articles:
- Healthy Dessert Recipes For Apples
- Delicious Almonds Make Healthy Valentine Snacks
- Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.