Cherries are in season right now on the homestead so it just makes sense to make a cherry pie from scratch.
The Story Behind The Pie
Tonight I used up the cherries I pitted yesterday making this maple vanilla bourbon cherry pie recipe.
I came up with the combination of flavors by looking up cherries in The Flavor Bible.
I knew vanilla went well with cherries but I had not thought about using the Jim Beam Maple Bourbon I had leftover from another recipe.
In fact, I hadn’t even thought of using alcohol in a pie filling until I saw that bourbon went well with cherries.
I knew the maple would taste great and so I was off on another culinary creation hoping it turned out as well as I anticipated – and it did.
This is the best cherry pie I have made to date.
The recipe is so easy to make and it is delicious!
I can taste the maple – and the bourbon – and the vanilla.
The common cherry pie spices of nutmeg and cinnamon are in there too.
Let me tell you when all of these tastes combined I thought my taste buds were going to explode.
It was fantastic!Print
Maple Vanilla Bourbon Cherry Pie From Scratch
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Start with fresh, pitted cherries. Put them in a stainless steel pan along with any juice that comes out of the cherries.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the pan.
- Stir to combine the ingredients. You can add a drop or two of red or pink food coloring at this point if you wish.
- Once the mixture is smooth, set the pan on the stove and turn the burner the pan is on to medium.
- Stir frequently. The mixture will stick and burn if you fail to keep it stirred.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken, remove it from the heat and pour it into a pie crust.
- Cover the top of the pie with a loose piece of aluminum foil and put the pie on a cookie sheet. I used an insulated cookie sheet.
- Bake the pie crust at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F and bake it for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the top of the pie crust and tear it into strips. Place the strips around the outer edge of the pie crust and return it to the oven. Bake it at 435 degrees F until the center of the pie begins to brown. This typically takes between 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool.
- Slice and serve with a scoop of whipped cream.
Keywords: cherry pie from scratch, cherry pie recipe, cherry pie filling recipes, cherry pie easy, cherry pie recipe from scratch
I highly recommend the following articles:
- How To Make A Cherry Oat Crisp Casserole
- Best Cherry Pie Recipe From Scratch
- How To Dehydrate Cherries
- How To Make Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate Loaf Brunch Cake Ideas
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.