A delicious treat that can be healthy depending on how it is made, is handmade chocolate covered strawberries.
For a healthy version, choose dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate or white chocolate.
While you can buy them already made, making them at home is really easy and you get more for your money.
How To Make The Perfect Handmade Chocolate Covered Strawberries
You really can make the perfect handmade chocolate covered strawberries at home.
They will look as good as the ones you buy, taste better and are the perfect healthy snack for Valentines Day or any day really.
The success of this recipe depends on two things.
The first and most important thing is to make sure the strawberries are completely dry before dipping them in the chocolate.
If possible, wash them the day before you intend to dip them and let them dry at room temperature.
At the very minimum allow them to air dry for a minimum of an hour and then check them to make sure they are completely dry.
If the strawberries have any water left on them, the chocolate will not adhere to the strawberries correctly, which is why I strongly recommend allowing them to dry overnight.
The second thing is to insure success with this recipe is to add a little bit of coconut oil, melted butter or a neutral tasteless oil, such as sunflower oil, to the melted chocolate prior to dipping the strawberries.
Use one tablespoon coconut oil per cup of chocolate chips for best results.
Be sure to mix the oil and chocolate well as the oil will want to seperate.
Adding the oil to the melted chocolate helps to keep the chcoolate from breaking apart and falling off the strawberries when someone bites into the chocolate covered strawberries.
The Types Of Chocolate Used In The Photos
I love dark chocolate, not only because of the health benefits, but also because I am not big on sugary sweet treats due to the issues I have with pre-diabetes.
Of course, if you want really pretty decorated handmade chocolate covered strawberries you need to use several different types of chocolate.
For the images, three types of chocolate chips were used: 60% cacao dark chocolate (larger chips), semi-sweet chocolate, and white chocolate baking chips.
If you want other colors of chocolate, I recommend using Wilton Candy Melts.
If you want to simplify things or don’t care if the strawberries look fancy, use one cup of either the dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips.Print
Handmade Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (+ time for strawberries to dry thoroughly and for melted chocolate to set)
- Cook Time: 4 - 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 6 1x
- 1 16–oz. container strawberries, preferably organic
- 1/2 c. 60% cacao dark chocolate baking chips*
- 1 1/2 T. coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 1/4 c. white chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. pecans, very finely chopped (optional)
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Thoroughly wash strawberries and pat dry with a paper towel or allow to air dry.
- Place the strawberries on the prepared baking sheet and allow them air dry for one hour or until completely dry. Overnight is recommended.
- Place the dark chocolate chips and one-half tablespoon coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate chips 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between each segment, until they are melted and completely smooth.
- If using two types of chocolate chips, repeat steps #4 and #5 with the semi-sweet chocolate chips, one-half tablespoon coconut oil, and the remaining strawberries.
- Dip half the strawberries into the dark chocolate until covered.
- Gently drag the bottom edge against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate before transferring the handmade chocolate covered strawberry to the baking sheet.
- If you are using pecans, place the finely chopped pecans in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dip the bottom of the strawberries in the melted chocolate and then dip into the bowl of chopped pecans.
- Swirl the strawberries until the bottom of each strawberry is completely coated in the nuts.
- Transfer the strawberries to the baking sheet with the other strawberries.
- Allow the chocolate to harden on the strawberries for approximately 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Once the chocolate is hard, place the white chocolate chips and the remaining coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate, 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between segments, until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Carefully drizzle the melted white chocolate over half the chocolate-covered strawberries with a spoon. For better control, use a pastry bag fitted with a very small tip or an empty squeeze bottle for this.
- When the chocolate is firm, remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator and serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Use either 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips, if preferred
Angel Food Cake Recipe With Poppyseed And Lemon Zest
When it comes to angel cake desserts, this angel food cake recipe with lemon zest and poppy seeds tops them all! It is easy to make too!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Summer means strawberry shortcake! Fresh strawberries right off the vine make the best real strawberry shortcake. Whipped cream and sprinkles add pizzazz.
Lindt Lindor Cupcake Decorating Ideas And Recipe
This Lindt Lindor Cupcake Recipe gives some cool cupcake decorating ideas plus inspiration for other easy to create cupcake decorations!
How To Make Red Velvet Cupcakes From Scratch
Learn how to make red velvet cupcakes from scratch and learn how to easily decorate them using techniques anyone can do even if they have no experience.
Eggless Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
This eggless homemade chocolate cake recipe is moist and delicious. It uses just a few ingredients and is best baked in a bread pan.
Mini-Pumpkin Cheesecakes with Salted-Caramel Crunch Topping Dessert For Brunch
Are you looking for an elegant dessert for brunch? These mini-pumpkin cheesecakes with salted-caramel crunch topping are sure to delight your guests!
Whoopie Pie Pumpkin Desserts Recipe
This Whoopie Pie Pumpkin Desserts recipe is a perfect fall dessert! Best of all, it's made with real pumpkin and filled with a creamy pumpkin spice filling.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake With A Twist
Are you looking for pineapple cake ideas? Pineapple upside down cake is delicious and easy to make! This recipe is a new twist on an old favorite.
Chocolate Raspberry Cake With Cheesecake In The Center
This delicious baked raspberry cheesecake recipe is a chocolate cake with cheesecake in the center, cream cheese icing and raspberry sauce on top!
German Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
When it comes to a delicious homemade baked cheesecake recipe large enough for a crowd, this German Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe is sure to please!
Scented Geranium Strawberry Cake Recipe
This delicious strawberry cake recipe combined with one of my favorite scented geranium recipes is perfect for afternoon tea.
Chocolate Loaf Brunch Cake Ideas
Check out these chocolate loaf brunch cake ideas - complete with a recipe for chocolate brunch cakes. This cake goes very well with fresh fruit!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Homemade Brownies
Chocolate and peanut butter are delicious together and these easy to make homemade brownies showcase that perfect pairing.
Raspberry-Chocolate Sundae Topper
This delicious, easy-to-make raspberry-chocolate sundae topper is an ideal canning recipe making it easy to serve to guests or give as gifts!
Rosemary Vanilla Roasted Pears
Made in the oven, these rosemary vanilla roasted pears simply melt in your mouth. Loaded with flavor this recipe is quick and easy to make!
Apple Pie For Diabetics
Everyone should be able to enjoy a simple homemade apple pie. This apple pie for diabetics recipe tastes good and you won't miss the sugar!
Cherry Pie Recipe
This delicious homemade cherry pie recipe is made with fresh picked cherries and a few simple ingredients.
How To Make Holiday Cookies
In this eCourse you will learn how to make four different types of popular holiday cookies.
You also get tips on how to make the cookies turn out their best.
The four types of cookies covered in this eCourse includes:
Sugar Cutout Cookies
Holiday Gumdrop Cookies
There is also a downloadable PDF that includes all of the recipes plus a bonus recipe for the run sugar glaze popular for icing sugar cookies.