Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post. I received a free 72-Hour Kit (affiliate link) from My Patriot Pantry in exchange for my honest opinion. All opinions are my own. There are also links below to products I recommend from companies I have a referral relationship with. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
This apple crisp dutch oven recipe is perfect for making over a campfire, on a BBQ grill or in your oven at home.
One Pot, A Spoon And The Ingredients Is All You Need!
What makes this apple crumble perfect for campfire cooking is all the ingredients are put into one pot, unmixed and you simply stir it about every ten minutes as it cooks to combine the ingredients.
I also love that the Maple Grove Oatmeal I received from Patriot Pantry worked so well with this recipe!
While it is delicious on it’s own, it added an extra touch of flavor and sweetness to this apple crisp, not to mention the resealable mylar bags (affiliate link) make it super easy to transport it if you are camping, hiking or bugging out.
Here is how to make this dessert recipe with apples in an oven.Print
- 6 cups apples (cut into large cubes)
- 1 1/8 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Patriot Pantry Maple Grove Oats
- 3/8 cup sugar
- 3/8 cup butter
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cardamon seed pod (broken open and crushed)
- Place the apples in the bottom of the dutch oven (affiliate link). I cut my apples into six slices, then cut those slices in half.
- Top the apples with all of the other ingredients making sure the butter is on the very top of the ingredient pile.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven (affiliate link) and place it inside your oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Every ten minutes, remove the lid on the dutch oven (affiliate link) and give the apple crisp a stir to combine the ingredients.
- When the timer goes off, check to make sure the apples are soft and serve immediately.
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream if you desire.
Note: I chose to make my apple crisp in an oven, but by simply placing BBQ brickets under and on top of the lid of your dutch oven (affiliate link) you can make this outdoors.
I recommend putting 16 coals on top of the lid and 8 underneath the dutch oven (affiliate link).
Over a fire, the recipe is done when the apples are soft and the toppings are brown – which should be 25 to 30 minutes depending on how hot the coals are when you start.
Here are some other delicious apple desserts:
Be sure to sign up to get your FREE recipe card that is a perfect fit for a 3″ x 5″ recipe box. In addition to getting the custom recipe card, you will also be signed up for our newsletter so you will always be up to date on new posts and get great recipes right in your inbox!
Before you go, make sure to sign up to get your FREE recipe card.
I highly recommend the following articles:
- Apple Pie For Diabetics
- Healthy Dessert Recipes For Apples
- Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes Recipe
- What Can You Cook In A Cast Iron Dutch Oven?
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the page to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.