This delicious Dutch Oven Whole chicken recipe is tender, juicy and flavorful with a slightly crunchy crust.
The best part about it however is how easy it is to make.
I chose to make mine in a regular oven, however this recipe would be easy enough to adapt for cooking over an open fire or even on a BBQ grill.
Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven Whole Chicken Recipe
One reason why I used my Lodge cast iron Dutch Oven to make a whole chicken instead of some other type of pan is because I truly love the Lodge Brand.
Not only do they come with very clear instructions on how to season and care for cast iron cookware, but they last as long as you take proper care of them.
Caring for cast iron is not hard and I love that it is truly non-stick.
In the event something does stick to the pan, it just means it was not seasoned correctly and that is fixable, unlike other types of non-stick pans where the coating wears off.
Chicken, like other types of whole birds such as turkey cooked in a cast iron roasting pan or Dutch Oven comes out really juicy and fall off the bone tender.
The reason for this is because cast iron heats evenly and the lid seals tightly.
This keeps the steam and the juices inside the pan which helps keep the meat moist.
Here Is My Dutch Oven Whole Chicken Recipe
This Dutch Oven Whole Chicken recipe really is pretty simple.
Most of the ingredients are tucked inside the cavity, which of course means you can’t stuff this bird.
The paprika adds just the right amount of spice to the crust of the chicken.
I truly hope you enjoy this recipe and I would love to hear your thoughts on it after you make it.
Here is the recipe.
- Wash the chicken and remove the liver, gizzard, neck and other innards from the cavity.
- Place the chicken, breast side up in the cast iron Dutch Oven.
- Add the chicken broth to the Dutch Oven.
- Cut the butter into Tablespoon portions.
- Place three Tablespoons of butter between the skin and the uncooked breast meat.
- Pierce the lemon with a poultry needle making sure it has 12 holes in it.
- Place the lemon inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the garlic cloves , rosemary, salt and pepper inside the chicken cavity.
- Cover the cavity with the chicken fat flap to close it up. If your chicken does not have this, tie the legs together to help hold the cavity closed.
- Melt the remaining two Tablespoons of butter.
- Add the smoked paprika to the butter and stir well to combine.
- Brush the melted butter all over the outside of the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Dutch Oven.
- Place the Dutch Oven in the oven on the center rack.
- Turn the oven on and set it to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and let the chicken remain in the oven for an additional 30 minutes. Do not open the oven during this time.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for 20 minutes longer.
- Remove the lid and check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If it is, transfer the chicken to a serving platter*, carve it and serve it.
*You can opt to boil down the juices left in the Dutch Oven to make a sauce for the chicken if you wish.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Bake
Keywords: dutch oven whole chicken, dutch oven whole chicken recipes, dutch oven whole chicken camping, dutch oven whole roasted chicken, dutch oven recipes, cast iron cooking
Easy Canned Sweet Corn Recipe
Nothing says summer like fresh tasting sweet corn! When you pair sweet corn with fresh dill weed you get an incredible tasty dish your family is going to love!
Bacon Maple Green Beans
Bacon wrapped maple green beans are perfect for a special meal and they are easy to make. Be sure to try this baked green beans with bacon recipe.
Cast Iron Skillet In Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Quick, easy and delicious, this cast iron skillet in oven roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is prefect for everyday or even for entertaining!
Sauteed Pea Recipe With Basil, Parmesan And Sesame
This sauteed pea recipe seasoned with basil, parmesan and sesame is perfert for special occassions or as an extra special side dish through the week!
Sous Vide Baby Carrots In A Honey Butter Sauce
This Sous Vide Baby Carrots In A Honey Butter Sauce is delicious and easy to make. The secret to success is to make these ahead of time and reheat them!
How To Make Fried Green Tomatoes
I love fried green tomatoes in season. It is hard to find them in restaurants and the ones at fair are not the same. Here is my fried green tomato recipe!
Cast Iron Potatoes Au Gratin
This cast iron potatoes au gratin recipe is delicious and ideal for long term storage in mylar bags. It is the perfect side dish to stock your pantry with.
Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes Recipe
This easy dutch oven potatoes recipe is delicious! Roasted potatoes dutch oven style are one of those recipes you prepare, let cook on their own and serve!
Herb Roasted Cast Iron Red Potatoes Recipe
This herb roasted cast iron red potatoes recipe makes it easy to roast potatoes that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
How To Make Candy Yams - An Easy, Delicious Recipe
Candy yams are delcious and certainly deserve a spot as a side dish more than just during the holidays. Give this old fashion recipe a try today.
Bow Tie Pasta In A Creamy Sage Recipe Sauce
This creamy sage recipe sauce is the perfect simple pasta sauce recipe for bow tie pasta. It is quick and easy to make plus it is a great side dish!
Creamy Penne Pasta Sauce Recipe
This creamy penne pasta sauce recipe is made from scratch using Mahon Cheese. It is smooth, perfectly seasoned and easy to make.
Gluten Free Green Bean and Pasta Casserole Recipe
Are you looking for healthy dinner ideas? Try this gluten free green bean and pasta casserole recipe. It's easy to make and delicious.