- Wash the chicken and remove the liver, gizzard, neck and other innards from the cavity.
- Place the chicken, breast side up in the cast iron Dutch Oven.
- Add the chicken broth to the Dutch Oven.
- Cut the butter into Tablespoon portions.
- Place three Tablespoons of butter between the skin and the uncooked breast meat.
- Pierce the lemon with a poultry needle making sure it has 12 holes in it.
- Place the lemon inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the garlic cloves, rosemary, salt and pepper inside the chicken cavity.
- Cover the cavity with the chicken fat flap to close it up. If your chicken does not have this, tie the legs together to help hold the cavity closed.
- Melt the remaining two Tablespoons of butter.
- Add the smoked paprika to the butter and stir well to combine.
- Brush the melted butter all over the outside of the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Dutch Oven.
- Place the Dutch Oven in the oven on the center rack.
- Turn the oven on and set it to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and let the chicken remain in the oven for an additional 30 minutes. Do not open the oven during this time.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for 20 minutes longer.
- Remove the lid and check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If it is, transfer the chicken to a serving platter*, carve it and serve it.
*You can opt to boil down the juices left in the Dutch Oven to make a sauce for the chicken if you wish.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Bake
Keywords: dutch oven whole chicken, dutch oven whole chicken recipes, dutch oven whole chicken camping, dutch oven whole roasted chicken, dutch oven recipes, cast iron cooking