This is simply the best cast iron roasting pan turkey breast because of how flavorful, tender and juicy it turned out.
I decided to make a turkey breast as an everyday meal because of a high glucose reading that I had on a recent blood test.
I decided to try to eat even healthier than normal to try to get that number down.
Turkey was one option that I came across and so I decided to buy a turkey breast because it was on sale.
Best Cast Iron Roasting Pan Turkey Breast
This recipe was the second one I made in my brand new Bayou Classic 12-Quart Cast Iron Oval Roaster With Domed Lid and I am happy to say, it turned out so good this is the only way I want to make turkey from here on out.
Here is my recipe – and I did do it quite differently than I have done in the past because I really wanted to infuse flavor into the meat.Print
- Remove the giblets and neck from the turkey breast if necessary.
- Rinse the turkey breast under cold water and pat dry.
- Place the turkey breast in the cast iron roasting pan.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Start at the neck cavity and insert your fingers in between the skin and the breast so you can separate the skin, but do not remove it.
- Place the lemon quarters and half of the fresh herbs into the area between the skin and the top of the turkey breast.
- If there are too many herbs to fit into this area without tearing the skin, put the rest of them into the cavity.
- Now tuck the skin flap into the cavity to close the herbs, lemons and cavity up.
- Pour the cajun butter over the top of the turkey, then sprinkle the salt and pepper on top.
- Place the lid on the cast iron roasting pan and place it on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Turn the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, cook the turkey breast for 15 to 20 minutes per pound. The exact cooking time per pound will be on the package your turkey comes wrapped in. The time will also vary if you decide to make a stuffed turkey.
- Set the timer, making sure to baste the turkey once an hour using the juices that fall into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Once the timer goes off, use a meat thermometer into the area between the innermost part of the thigh and the wing to check the internal temperature of the turkey. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If the internal temperature is not high enough, replace the lid then return the turkey to the oven and continue cooking it.
- If the internal temperature is correct, put the lid back on the roasting pan and allow the turkey to rest for 20 minutes before removing it from the roasting pan and carving it.
- Once you are ready to carve the turkey breast, remove it from the cast iron roasting pan and carve it.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Turkey
- Method: Oven
Keywords: best cast iron roasting pan turkey breast, cast iron roasting pan recipes, cast iron turkey, turkey breast recipes
Stuffing The Turkey Breast
While I chose not to stuff my turkey breast, simply because I was avoiding adding calories and carbs, I do have a delicious homemade stuffing recipe you might want to try.
While I did use a specific brand of bread, there is no reason why you couldn’t use your favorite brand of bread or even homemade bread.
Keep in mind that stuffed turkeys do take slightly longer to cook than an unstuffed turkey.
How To Stretch Your Grocery Budget With This Turkey Breast
When I purchased the turkey breast, I knew I was going to save the bones, any extra meat as well as the cooked lemons and herbs to turn into bone broth for a meal later in the week, so this helped stretch my grocery budget.
Another option for using leftover turkey is meat is to make a pot pie.
This homemade chicken pot pie recipe is delicious and the only thing you need to do different is to switch out the chicken for turkey.
Easy Canned Sweet Corn Recipe
Nothing says summer like fresh tasting sweet corn! When you pair sweet corn with fresh dill weed you get an incredible tasty dish your family is going to love!
Bacon Maple Green Beans
Bacon wrapped maple green beans are perfect for a special meal and they are easy to make. Be sure to try this baked green beans with bacon recipe.
Cast Iron Skillet In Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Quick, easy and delicious, this cast iron skillet in oven roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is prefect for everyday or even for entertaining!
Sauteed Pea Recipe With Basil, Parmesan And Sesame
This sauteed pea recipe seasoned with basil, parmesan and sesame is perfert for special occassions or as an extra special side dish through the week!
Sous Vide Baby Carrots In A Honey Butter Sauce
This Sous Vide Baby Carrots In A Honey Butter Sauce is delicious and easy to make. The secret to success is to make these ahead of time and reheat them!
How To Make Fried Green Tomatoes
I love fried green tomatoes in season. It is hard to find them in restaurants and the ones at fair are not the same. Here is my fried green tomato recipe!
Cast Iron Potatoes Au Gratin
This cast iron potatoes au gratin recipe is delicious and ideal for long term storage in mylar bags. It is the perfect side dish to stock your pantry with.
Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes Recipe
This easy dutch oven potatoes recipe is delicious! Roasted potatoes dutch oven style are one of those recipes you prepare, let cook on their own and serve!
Herb Roasted Cast Iron Red Potatoes Recipe
This herb roasted cast iron red potatoes recipe makes it easy to roast potatoes that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
How To Make Candy Yams - An Easy, Delicious Recipe
Candy yams are delcious and certainly deserve a spot as a side dish more than just during the holidays. Give this old fashion recipe a try today.
Bow Tie Pasta In A Creamy Sage Recipe Sauce
This creamy sage recipe sauce is the perfect simple pasta sauce recipe for bow tie pasta. It is quick and easy to make plus it is a great side dish!
Creamy Penne Pasta Sauce Recipe
This creamy penne pasta sauce recipe is made from scratch using Mahon Cheese. It is smooth, perfectly seasoned and easy to make.
Gluten Free Green Bean and Pasta Casserole Recipe
Are you looking for healthy dinner ideas? Try this gluten free green bean and pasta casserole recipe. It's easy to make and delicious.