Learning how to make nasturtium butter is just one of the fun and tasty ways to use these delightfully vibrant colored edible flowers.
The flowers can be chopped up and added to butter, seafood sandwich fillings or added to salads or even salad dressings.
They also make a great natural dye when added to white frosting, as well as a gorgeous garnish on cakes or on the side of a plate.
Plus they are easy to grow in the ground, in a hanging basket or in a window box so you can always have fresh edible flowers on hand for your recipes during the summer.
Why Grow Nasturtium In Your Garden
Nasturtiums are not only colorful additions to your garden, but are beneficial in the vegetable garden.
Nasturtiums are known for deterring bean beetles and aphids.
Nasturtiums are often grown for their bright colored flowers that make a great addition to salads.
Both the flowers and the young leaves are edible.
Be sure to use only organically grown Nasturtiums in your recipes.
How To Make Nasturtium Butter
The recipe below explains how to make nasturtium butter using just four ingredients.
You can use store bought butter for this or homemade butter if you make your own.Print
This is a lemon flavored nasturtium butter.
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped nasturtium blossoms and young leaves from unsprayed, organically grown plants
- Place the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Use a fork to blend the ingredients well until the lemon zest and juice are evenly distributed throughout the butter. If you are not real big on the taste of lemon, use a bit less. You can taste the butter as you go to see if the lemon taste suits you. The peppery taste of the nasturtiums will increase the longer the butter sits.
- Dice the nasturtium flowers and leaves using a knife. If you prefer smaller pieces of nasturtiums, feel free to grate them or combine the ingredients in a blender. Note however that the nasturtiums may change the color of the butter if you do this.
- Add the diced nasturtiums flowers and leaves.
- Blend gently with a fork.
- If you are going to use the butter in less than two weeks, you can put it into a glass or plastic container with a lid or a butter bell if you have one, then refrigerate it.
- If you are going to freeze the butter for future use, roll it into a small log, snuggly wrap it with parchment paper making sure to twist both ends to secure the paper tightly around the log of butter.
- Wrap aluminum foil or plastic wrap around the parchment paper.
- Place the sealed butter in a freezer bag, then put it in the freezer.
- Thaw the butter in the refrigerator prior to using it. This should take no more than three hours ideally, but I have seen it take several days, so plan ahead .
- Serve the butter with corn muffins, biscuits, steamed vegetables, boiled or roasted new potatoes, salmon, or chicken. It makes a pretty spread for chicken or ham salad sandwiches.
- Category: Dairy
- Method: No Cook
Keywords: how to make nasturtium butter, nasturtium butter, nasturtium butter recipe, edible flowers recipes
How To Make Nasturtium Butter And Preserve It For Winter Use
As mentioned in the recipe, freezing butter is a great way to make up a large batch when the Nasturtium flowers are in bloom and preserve it for winter use.
Butter is known to pick up strong odors when it is close to them and in a non-porous container, such as plastic.
I have never had frozen butter pick up any odors, but I am always careful to make sure everything else in the freezer is already frozen and that the butter is well sealed.
The butter will last frozen for six months.
Plan on a minimum thawing time of at least three hours, however from personal experience I encourage you to place it in the refrigerator a day or two before you plan to use it.
Do not thaw frozen butter at room temperature.
Easy Canned Sweet Corn Recipe
Nothing says summer like fresh tasting sweet corn! When you pair sweet corn with fresh dill weed you get an incredible tasty dish your family is going to love!
Bacon Maple Green Beans
Bacon wrapped maple green beans are perfect for a special meal and they are easy to make. Be sure to try this baked green beans with bacon recipe.
Cast Iron Skillet In Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Quick, easy and delicious, this cast iron skillet in oven roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is prefect for everyday or even for entertaining!
Sauteed Pea Recipe With Basil, Parmesan And Sesame
This sauteed pea recipe seasoned with basil, parmesan and sesame is perfert for special occassions or as an extra special side dish through the week!
Sous Vide Baby Carrots In A Honey Butter Sauce
This Sous Vide Baby Carrots In A Honey Butter Sauce is delicious and easy to make. The secret to success is to make these ahead of time and reheat them!
How To Make Fried Green Tomatoes
I love fried green tomatoes in season. It is hard to find them in restaurants and the ones at fair are not the same. Here is my fried green tomato recipe!
Cast Iron Potatoes Au Gratin
This cast iron potatoes au gratin recipe is delicious and ideal for long term storage in mylar bags. It is the perfect side dish to stock your pantry with.
Easy Dutch Oven Potatoes Recipe
This easy dutch oven potatoes recipe is delicious! Roasted potatoes dutch oven style are one of those recipes you prepare, let cook on their own and serve!
Herb Roasted Cast Iron Red Potatoes Recipe
This herb roasted cast iron red potatoes recipe makes it easy to roast potatoes that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
How To Make Candy Yams - An Easy, Delicious Recipe
Candy yams are delcious and certainly deserve a spot as a side dish more than just during the holidays. Give this old fashion recipe a try today.
Bow Tie Pasta In A Creamy Sage Recipe Sauce
This creamy sage recipe sauce is the perfect simple pasta sauce recipe for bow tie pasta. It is quick and easy to make plus it is a great side dish!
Creamy Penne Pasta Sauce Recipe
This creamy penne pasta sauce recipe is made from scratch using Mahon Cheese. It is smooth, perfectly seasoned and easy to make.
Gluten Free Green Bean and Pasta Casserole Recipe
Are you looking for healthy dinner ideas? Try this gluten free green bean and pasta casserole recipe. It's easy to make and delicious.