This top round roast cast iron skillet recipe was cooked on top of a stove and turned out delicious!
It would be an easy recipe to adapt for a BBQ grill, campfire or even a wood burning stove just be sure to keep the temperature low enough that the top round roast cooks low and slow.
Here is my recipe.Print
Top Round Roast Cast Iron Skillet Recipe
- Place butter and all the spices into a cast iron pan.
- Brown the butter over medium heat stirring well to combine the spices.
- Brown the roast on both sides.
- Add three cups of beef broth to the skillet and cover leaving the lid cracked just enough so some of the steam can escape.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the meat for 3 hours.
- Add two more cups of beef broth and simmer for another hour.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. No additional seasoning is necessary.
- Add the last two cups of beef broth and continue to cook on simmer for an hour and fifteen minutes.
- Tuen the heat up to medium and cook another 45 minutes. Watch the skillet carefully during this time because the liquid will boil down to a thick sauce and you don’t want the food to stick.
- Serve immediately