If you’re looking for an easy wood stove recipe to get started with, this grilled cheese sandwich with a side of tomato soup can’t be beat.
Best of all, grilled cheese is one of the best simple comfort foods for winter eating as far as I am concerned.
When a grilled cheese sandwich is paired with a bowl of homemade tomato soup, you get a filling meal that is sure to warm you up inside.
Here is the recipe:Print
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 to 4 thin slices of Velvetta cheese*
- Check the temperature of the wood burning cook stove and make sure it is around 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is too hot, cool the stove down by opening the door for a couple of minutes. If the temperature is too cool add some small branches to the fire to heat it up.
- Butter the outer side of one piece of the bread.
- Place it in the cast iron griddle, buttered side towards the skillet.
- Thinly slice cheese such as Velvetta on the bread in the skillet.
- Butter one side of the remaining slice of bread.
- Place the buttered side face up on top of the Velvetta.
- Place the cast iron griddle on top of the wood burning stove.
- Cook for 5 minutes on one side.
- Turn it over.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and put it on a plate.
- Slice it diagonally and serve immediately.
*alternatively you can use Extra Sharp Cheddar, Colby or whatever type of cheese you prefer.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Wood Burning Stove
Keywords: easy wood stove recipe, grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese recipes classic, wood stove cooking, wood stove cooking recipes, cast iron cooking, grilled cheese cast iron, grilled cheese cast iron skillet
Final Thoughts About This Easy Wood Stove Recipe
However, if you heat your home with wood, learning to cook on your wood stove just makes sense.
If you are lucky enough to have a real wood burning cook stove, then you already know how enjoyable it is to cook on one.
This grilled cheese sandwich is truly one of the easiest recipes to learn how to cook on a wood stove or even over an open fire considering all you are doing is toasting the bread and melting the cheese.
Just be sure to use good hot pads, because cast iron gets really hot.
Also, pay attention to what you are doing because you sure don’t want to get burned on the wood stove itself.
Leave them below!
I highly recommend the following articles:
- Tips For Cooking On A Wood Stove
- Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe Baked In A Wood Stove
- How To Make Homemade Tomato Soup In A Dutch Oven
- Apple Crisp Dutch Oven Recipe
- Gluten Free Brownie Wood Stove Recipe
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the page to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.