- Press a feather at a time against the blade of the scissors .
- Pull the feather across the blade until it is curly enough to suit you.
- One you are satisfied with how the feather looks, insert the feather into the styrofoam cone , starting at the bottom of the cone.
- Make sure the curl of the feather touches the bottom of the table.
- As each row is finished, move on to the next row.
- Slowly work your way up to the top of the cone – layer by layer.
- If you notice areas that look a bit sparse, fill them in by gluing some of the smaller feathers into those areas. Be sure to curl the tips of those feathers as well – and let me tell you, it is a tedious process.
- Once the entire cone is covered in white feathers , inserted a glitterly snowflake into the top of the cone.
- Then insert some small feathers into the top of the cone to fill in around the snowflake . Be sure the tips are facing upward to create a peaked look.
- Cut a bamboo skewer into 4 sections.
- Wrap florist wire around the bamboo skewer .
- Use the florist wire and a drop of glue to secure the birds or the birds nest onto a bamboo skewer .
- After the glue dries, insert the skewer into the styrofoam pressing it in far enough that the birds and their nests looked like they were built on the tree itself.
- Continue to add birds and bird nests until you are satisfied with how the tree looks.