- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 to 4 thin slices of Velvetta cheese*
- Check the temperature of the wood burning cook stove and make sure it is around 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is too hot, cool the stove down by opening the door for a couple of minutes. If the temperature is too cool add some small branches to the fire to heat it up.
- Butter the outer side of one piece of the bread.
- Place it in the cast iron griddle, buttered side towards the skillet.
- Thinly slice cheese such as Velvetta on the bread in the skillet.
- Butter one side of the remaining slice of bread.
- Place the buttered side face up on top of the Velvetta.
- Place the cast iron griddle on top of the wood burning stove.
- Cook for 5 minutes on one side.
- Turn it over.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and put it on a plate.
- Slice it diagonally and serve immediately.
*alternatively you can use Extra Sharp Cheddar, Colby or whatever type of cheese you prefer.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Wood Burning Stove
Keywords: easy wood stove recipe, grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese recipes classic, wood stove cooking, wood stove cooking recipes, cast iron cooking, grilled cheese cast iron, grilled cheese cast iron skillet