I love swiss steak but hate using a large glass pan so I decided to see if I could adapt my recipe for cast iron skillet use.
There are also links to products I recommend from companies I have a referral relationship with. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
The Original Recipe And My Adaption
The original recipe was given to me by my grandmother in the late 1980’s, for this recipe instead of making my own gravy I bought a package of Southeastern Mills Roast Beef Gravy Mix.
The recipe turned out great – and using the packaged gravy was a lot easier than mixing flour and water then adding it to the pan during the last ten minutes of cooking.
Here is my recipe:Print
- 1 package Southeastern Mills Roast Beef Gravy Mix
- 1 2 lb round steak
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Providence
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Preheat the cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Flour and season the round steak.
- Cook the round steak for 4 to 5 minutes per side to brown it.
- Prepare the gravy mix following the instructions on the back of the package but do not heat it up, just mix it up.
- Pour the uncooked gravy over the top of the browned round steak.
- Put a lid on the cast iron skillet and place it on the center rack of the oven.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours, turning the swiss steak over once midway through the process. Be sure to spoon some gravy on top of the swiss steak when you do this.
- When the time is up, remove the cast iron pan from the oven, carefully remove the lid watching out for steam.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: beef recipes, cast iron cooking, meat recipes, Swiss steak recipe
I highly recommend the following articles:
- How To Make A Sauce For Steak
- Cooking Ham Steak In A Cast Iron Skillet
- Best Cast Iron Skillet Recipes
- Cast Iron Steak Recipe
- Benefits Of Using Cast Iron For Cooking
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the page to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.