Have you ever wondered how to make an ice cream sandwich? I know I have!
One of my favorite frozen treats is the ice cream sandwich.
I had no idea there was a National Ice Cream Sandwich day! What I found even more interesting it the date is August 2, which is also my birthday!
Making ice cream sandwich cookies is super easy and for those who do not want to make their own, pre-made ice cream sandwiches are easy to find in grocery stores and even convenience stores!
Another option is to use sugar cookies.
Yes, you can make homemade ice cream sandwiches! Look at your local craft stores for molds such as the ones I have that you can use for the cookie. Or you can simply use a foil lined cookie sheet and cut the cookies into rectangles.
Below is my ice cream sandwich recipe as well as links to products I recommend from companies I have a referral relationship with. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.Print
How To Make An Ice Cream Sandwich
- Yield: 8 to 10 sandwiches 1x
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease the foil with the tablespoon of softened butter.
- Put the rest of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a whisk until the butter melts.
- Using a pot holder, remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the cocoa powder. Whisk the butter and cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add the sugar while continuing to whisk the mixture until it is well blended. Let the mixture cool for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour and salt and stir until the batter is blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake the batter until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, using oven mitts and set the pan on a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Using the ends of the foil, lift the baked cake from the pan and set it on a cutting board.
- Cut the cake in half lengthwise and carefully loosen both halves from the foil.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the softened ice cream evenly over one half of the cake into a layer about 1 inch thick.
- Top with the other half of the cake and press down gently. You may find the easier way to do this is to cut the foil in half and place the thin cake layer on top of the ice cream without attempting to remove the cake and handle it. This can precent the thin layer of cake from breaking apart.
- Wrap the ice cream sandwiches in the foil and freeze until hard, about 6 hours.
- Peel away the foil and cut into sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
- To store the extra ice cream sandwiches, wrap them in plastic wrap and place them back in the freezer. They will keep for up to 2 weeks.
I highly recommend the following articles:
- Homemade Gelato Ice Cream Recipe
- Cinnamon Chocolate Ice Cream
- Five Spice Cherry Homemade Recipe For Ice Cream
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake With A Twist
- Angel Food Cake Recipe With Poppyseed And Lemon Zest
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.