Disclaimer: I received a package containing three degrees of maturity of Mahon-Menorca Cheese for free for participating in the Mahon-Menorca Cheese Holiday Blogger Recipe Challenge. All opinions are my own.
The use of the Mahon-Menorca hard cured cheese in this cheese lasagna recipe made a real difference in taste!
Why Mahon-Menora Cheese Makes A Difference In This Cheese Lasagna Recipe
The Mahon-Menorca cheese gave the lasagna a creamier texture and added a very distinct buttery sharp, yet sweet taste to the recipe.
Combined with the homemade sauce, the overall taste of the lasagna was definitely sweeter than a normal tomato based lasagna sauce.
The combination of the grass fed hamburger and bacon definitely makes this recipe ideal for meat lovers!
However, for those of you who prefer a meatless lasagna, it is ok to omit the meat and simply add the seasonings to the sauce.
Here is my Mahon-Menorca Cheese Lasagna Recipe.Print
- 13.25 ounce whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pound 92% lean grass fed hamburger
- 29 ounce tomato sauce
- 12 ounce tomato paste
- 1 3/4 pounds Mahon-Menorca Hard Cured Cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons parsley
- 2 Tablespoons bacon bits
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Black Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 basil ice cubes (or plain basil)
- Chili infused olive oil
- Shred the Mahon-Menorca Cheese.
- Brown the hamburger over medium heat, but do not drain it.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, parsley, bacon bits, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, Black Sea salt and chili powder to the hamburger and mix well.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until everything is well mixed.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese and cook, without stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Stir the mixture.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the sauce until the lasagna noodles are done.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add water, basil ice cubes (or plain basil if you do not have basil ice cubes) and a drizzle of the chili infused olive oil to a large pan.
- Bring this to a boil.
- Add the whole wheat pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- Drain the pasta and put it back in the pan.
- Fill the pan with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking.
- Drain the pasta a second time and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Place the colander on top of the pan so the lasagna can continue to drain while you are preparing the lasagna.
- Place a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of the pan you are going to bake the lasagna in.
- Place a single layer of the lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Add another layer of the sauce to the top of the noodles.
- Add a generous layer of the Mahon-Menorca Cheese to the top of the sauce.
- Continue layering the lasagna by following steps 19 to 21 until you run out of pasta.
- Top the last layer of pasta with sauce and cheese.
- Cover the lasagna with either aluminum foil or a lid if the pan you are using has a lid.
- Place the lasagna in the preheated oven and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut and serve.
Keywords: cheese lasagna recipe, cheese lasagna recipe easy, lasagna recipe easy, lasagna, lasagna recipe meat, lasagna recipe meat lovers, lasagna recipe meat sauce
Final Thoughts On This Mahon-Menorca Cheese Lasagna Recipe
This cheese lasagna recipe was really filling and easy to make.
A small salad along with a few garlic breadsticks make the perfect side dishes.
Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers as this recipe is easy to reheat in the microwave making it ideal for a quick, hot lunch.
The major differences I noticed in the Mahon-Menorca hard cured cheese was it was not crumbly, it did not have a strong smell in comparison the to varieties of semi-cured cheese I received and it did not have any mold on it, which did not surprise me since it was fully cured.
I highly recommend the following articles:
- Sauteed Pea Recipe With Basil, Parmesan And Sesame
- Creamy Penne Pasta Sauce Recipe
- Mahon-Menorca Baked Cheese Crisps
- Parmesan Fennel Chicken Tender Recipe
- Bow Tie Pasta In A Creamy Sage Recipe Sauce
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.