- Start with fresh, pitted cherries. Put them in a stainless steel pan along with any juice that comes out of the cherries.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the pan.
- Stir to combine the ingredients. You can add a drop or two of red or pink food coloring at this point if you wish.
- Once the mixture is smooth, set the pan on the stove and turn the burner the pan is on to medium.
- Stir frequently. The mixture will stick and burn if you fail to keep it stirred.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken, remove it from the heat and pour it into a pie crust.
- Cover the top of the pie with a loose piece of aluminum foil and put the pie on a cookie sheet. I used an insulated cookie sheet.
- Bake the pie crust at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F and bake it for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the top of the pie crust and tear it into strips. Place the strips around the outer edge of the pie crust and return it to the oven. Bake it at 435 degrees F until the center of the pie begins to brown. This typically takes between 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool.
- Slice and serve with a scoop of whipped cream.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
Keywords: cherry pie from scratch, cherry pie recipe, cherry pie filling recipes, cherry pie easy, cherry pie recipe from scratch