The procedure for making this easy coconut milk soap recipe is pretty much the same as it for making any cold process soap, the difference is in the ingredients.
Coconut milk soap is the easiest to make and the creamiest of all the various milk soaps.
Plus sometimes coconut milk is easier to come by since it comes in a can especially for people who do not have ready access to goats or other animals that produce milk.
However it is important to note that the coconut milk scent doesn’t come through the soap making process so if you want your soap to smell like coconut, then you need to use a coconut scented oil in the recipe.
The Use Of Coconut Milk In Soap
Milk based soaps are very popular, especially goat’s milk soaps.
However, coconut milk has always been a favorite in soap making and was very popular in the past.
Coconut milk soap has been used throughout history by kings and queens because it is proven to be moisturizing to the skin and because of its creamy, rich lather.
How To Make Your Own Easy Coconut Milk Soap Recipe
The simple instructions below will guide you through the process of making this easy coconut milk soap recipe.
When you are done, you will have two pounds of extra creamy, extra bubbly, moisturizing soap that you can use as is or that you can make into hand-milled soap and add your favorite ingredients to.
- Gather all of the ingredients you need and pre-measure them.
- Put the lye in a large stainless steel pitcher or bowl and then add the well-chilled coconut milk.
- Carefully add the ice cubes to the lye and coconut milk mixture.
- At this point, you will notice a chemical reaction take place. Stir slowly and carefully as the lye heats up the coconut milk. The lye will turn the coconut milks color into light-amber as well produce a foul odor as it burns the sugars found in the milk. The foul odor will go away when the reaction is finished.
- You will see that the coconut milk soap base will start to thicken because of the joining of the lye and coconut milk. This is what is responsible for transforming the mixture into coconut milk soap. The fat present in the coconut milk is just enough to harden the soap mix.
- Once the reaction stops, let the lye cool down under room temperature, typically around 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a microwave oven or on top of the stove in a double boiler, melt all of the oils that you are going to use.
- Then take the temperature of the oils. You want them to be the same temperature as the lye and milk solution, ideally around 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once you know both the oils and the milk lye solution are the same temperature, add the oils to the bowl of lye and coconut milk. Continuously stir the coconut milk soap base while doing this
- Make sure the oils are well mixed into the coconut milk lye solution. The mixture should be really thick and at trace. Do not pour the soap too soon or you will end up with pockets of lye in your final product.
- Pour your soap base mix in the molds, give them a slight bounce on a counter to release any air bubbles.
- Then spray the top of the soap with rubbing alcohol
- Cover the molds with a clean towel.
- Let it set for at least three days to cool.
- Remove the soap from the mold.
- Cut the soap into bars.
- Lay the bars of soap out onto paper towel lined cooling racks.
- Let them cure out of the mold for six weeks. Be sure to turn them over daily to allow air to reach all sides of the soap.
Thai Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk, 13.66 fl oz (Pack of 6)
Nutiva Organic, Neutral Tasting, Steam Refined Coconut Oil from non-GMO, Sustainably Farmed Coconuts, 128 Fl Oz
Palm Oil (1 Gallon)
Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 24 Ounce
Castor Oil (16oz) USDA Organic Cold-Pressed, 100% Pure, Hexane-Free Castor Oil - Moisturizing & Healing, For Dry Skin, Hair Growth - For Skin, Hair Care, Eyelashes - Caster Oil By Sky Organics
La Tourangelle Organic Canola Oil 16.9 Fl. Oz, All-Natural, Artisanal, Great for Cooking and Baking or as Base for Marinade
Pure Lye Drain Cleaner / Opener, 2 lbs. Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide Micro Beads
Top 10 USDA Certified Organic Essential Oils Set (10 Pack - 100% Pure & Natural) Therapeutic Grade - 5ml Set
Swan M314 Isopropyl Alcohol, 99%, 16 oz.
ESA Supplies Wooden Soap Loaf Cutter Mold and Soap Cutter Set + 1 pc Rectangle Silicone Mold with Wood Box + 1 pc Straight Cutter + 1 pc Wavy Cutter
Double Boiler & Steam Pots for Melting Chocolate, Candle Making and more - Stainless Steel Steamer with Tempered Glass Lid for Clear View while Cooking, Dishwasher & Oven Safe - 3 Qts & 4 Pieces
Baosity Candle Making Pot/Pitcher -Double Boiler for Melting/Pouring Wax & Soap Making Supply 3 Size - 1500ml
Anchor Hocking 4 Cup Measuring Cup w/ Blueberry Infusion,32 oz
1Easylife 18/8 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Set of 6 for Measuring Dry and Liquid Ingredients
MOSISO Digital Kitchen Scale in Refined Stainless Steel Multifunction with Fingerprint Resistant Coating (11 lbs Edition)
Juvale 20-Pack Fine Mist Mini Plastic 2.7-Ounce Spray Bottles with Atomizer Pumps for Essential Oils, Aromatherapy, and Travel, Empty, Clear, Refillable and Reusable
Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
Seventh Generation Paper Towels Regular Roll, 140 Sheets, White, 1 Pack
Sheri Ann Richerson is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
A Few Final Thoughts About This Easy Coconut Milk Soap Recipe
Making your own coconut milk soap is very easy.
Once you have mastered the process you can create your own easy coconut milk soap recipe using other ingredients that are not mentioned above such as apricot seed to create a scrubbing soap.
The use of coconut oil in this recipe makes it a great soap for getting greasy hands clean, however coconut oil is drying, this by adding in all the other oils, it increases the superfats in the soap.
What this means is you get a soap that will clean while being moisturizing to your skin.
Coconut milk soaps are also good for sensitive skin.
If you give this easy coconut milk soap recipe a try, I’d love it if you came back and let me know how it turned out for you.
Basic Goat Milk Soap Recipe
Here is my favorite basic goat milk soap recipe. I am sure this goat milk soap recipe is going to be one your go-to homemade soap recipes too.
Goat Milk Bar Soap Recipe
This homemade goat milk bar soap recipe is a good one for beginning soap makers to start with plus it's a perfect goat milk soap base recipe.
Goat Milk Soap Recipes Round-Up
Are you looking for goat milk soap recipes? Look no further! Here you find a goat milk soap recipe for liquid soap, bar soap and even laundry soap.
Lavender Goat Milk Soap Recipe
Learn how to make this lavender goat milk soap recipe completely from scratch. If you prefer melt and pour soapmaking, conversion instructions are included.
Bar Soap Recipe
The bar soap recipe collection on this page includes melt and pour soap, goat milk soap and even homemade laundry soap recipes.
Goat Milk Soap Recipe
Learn how to make this goat milk soap recipe completely from scratch. If you prefer melt and pour soapmaking, conversion instructions are included.
Vanilla Soap Recipe With Goat Milk And Shea Butter
This melt and pour vanilla soap recipe contains goat milk and shea butter. It lathers well, it's ideal for dry senstitive skin and is easy to make!