This cast iron apple crisp recipe is delicious.
So much so that there was just one slice left at the end of the night and there are only two people in our household!
Rarely do I see desserts disappear this quickly!
Home Canned Apples In This Cast Iron Apple Crisp Recipe
For this recipe, I decided to go with two different kinds of home canned apple wedges.
I used one pint of plain apple wedges canned in an ultralight syrup and a pint of the red hot apple wedges.
The reason I did this was to add more variety and to give the apple crisp a stronger cinnamon.
I feel the mixture worked very well.
The taste was just right and not overpowering.
I also felt the apple crisp was sweet, but not sugary sweet.
Here is my cast iron apple crisp recipe.
Cast Iron Apple Crisp Recipe
This cast iron apple crisp recipe is a delicious dessert that is quick and easy to make. Plus since it is made in a cast iron skillet, clean up is easy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
For The Filling:
- 1 pint plain apple wedges*
- 1 pint red hot apple wedges*
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla paste
For The Topping:
- Put 2 Tablespoons butter in a large cast iron skillet and turn the heat to medium.
- Drain the apples, unless you are using pre-made pie filling.
- One the butter is melted, add the apples or the pre-made pie filling.
- Cook the apples or premade pie filling for three minutes.
- Add the light brown sugar, cornstarch and vanilla paste to the top of the apples and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat off, but leave the skillet on the burner.
- Combine all the ingredients for the topping in a large bowl.
- Use a fork to mix the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Once the butter is well incorporated into the dry ingredients, spread the mixture on top of the apple mixture making sure it is evenly spread out.
- Cover the cast iron skillet with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Place the cast iron skillet into the oven and turn the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, set the timer to 15 minutes.
- When the 15 minutes is up, remove the aluminum foil and set the timer to 20 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, check the top of the apple crisp to see if the oatmeal is browned, if not, bake the apple crisp for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once the oatmeal topping is slightly brown, remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and let it cool for ten minutes.
- Then slice and serve.
*You can use two cans apple pie filling instead of the two pints of apples if you prefer.
Keywords: cast iron apple crisp recipe, cast iron cooking
Final Thoughts On My Cast Iron Apple Crisp Recipe
As mentioned above, this apple crisp recipe did not last long.
I had two slices and my husband ate the rest, except for a small piece he left to take to work with him today.
This recipe was definitely a hit in our house and I am sure it will be in your house too.
I encourage you to give it a try, just be sure to use a well seasoned cast iron skillet.
I highly recommend the following articles:
- How To Make Candy Yams – An Easy, Delicious Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet In Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Best Cast Iron Skillet Recipes
- How To Cook In Cast Iron Pans
- Apple Crisp Dutch Oven Recipe
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the page to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.