This cast iron apple crisp recipe is a delicious dessert that is quick and easy to make. Plus since it is made in a cast iron skillet, clean up is easy!
For The Filling:
- 1 pint plain apple wedges*
- 1 pint red hot apple wedges*
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla paste
For The Topping:
- Put 2 Tablespoons butter in a large cast iron skillet and turn the heat to medium.
- Drain the apples, unless you are using pre-made pie filling.
- One the butter is melted, add the apples or the pre-made pie filling.
- Cook the apples or premade pie filling for three minutes.
- Add the light brown sugar, cornstarch and vanilla paste to the top of the apples and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat off, but leave the skillet on the burner.
- Combine all the ingredients for the topping in a large bowl.
- Use a fork to mix the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Once the butter is well incorporated into the dry ingredients, spread the mixture on top of the apple mixture making sure it is evenly spread out.
- Cover the cast iron skillet with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Place the cast iron skillet into the oven and turn the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, set the timer to 15 minutes.
- When the 15 minutes is up, remove the aluminum foil and set the timer to 20 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, check the top of the apple crisp to see if the oatmeal is browned, if not, bake the apple crisp for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once the oatmeal topping is slightly brown, remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and let it cool for ten minutes.
- Then slice and serve.
*You can use two cans apple pie filling instead of the two pints of apples if you prefer.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
Keywords: cast iron apple crisp recipe, cast iron cooking