When it some to unique but easy Valentine’s Day cupcake decorating ideas, these chocolate filled cupcakes decorated with hearts, sprinkles, chocolate flakes plus molded chocolate candies is sure to please the palate and the eye.
Try These Easy Valentine’s Day Cupcake Decorating Ideas
The cupcake recipe I chose to make is below, but even if you buy pre-made cupcakes or choose to make a different recipe, it’s still possible to decorate them in a unique way.
The icing on the cupcake does not need to be spectacular to make an impression.
Simply make sure there is enough icing to hold the decorations in place.
A mounded piped icing is best, but there are ways to make this work even if the icing was spread on with a knife.
While the molded candy is going to be harder to get to stand straight up, a toothpick or thin piece of candy placed behind the molded chocolate candy is one way to accomplish this.
Sprinkles, flakes and cookie or cake decorating candies come in all shapes and colors these days, so simply choose the ones you like.
Here is how I made the cupcakes in the photo above along with the exact instructions letting you know how I decorated them.Print
For The Cupcake:
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
For The Chocolate Cupcake Filling:
- 8 ounces dark chocolate , finely chopped
- 4 ounces brewed caramel flavored coffee , at room temperature
- 4 ounces water
- 1 1/2 ounces cane sugar
- isi cream whipper
- isi Injector Tips
- 1 N2O (nitrous-oxide) charger
- Russian Piping Tips
- Silicone heart molds
For The Decorations:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 18 muffin cups with regular size paper baking cups.
- Combine the flour , granulated sugar and salt in a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, baking soda , vanilla and eggs.
- Stir to combine the wet ingredients and set this bowl aside.
- Melt the butter in a stainless steel saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cocoa powder to the butter and stir to combine the two ingredients.
- Add the boiling water to the cocoa powder and butter mixture, then allow it to bubble for a few seconds before removing the saucepan from the heat.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture.
- Stir the chocolate into the dry ingredients until the chocolate is cool.
- Pour the contents of the other bowl into the chocolate flour mixture.
- Stir to combine the liquid ingredients into the chocolate flour mixture.
- Fill the paper baking cups with the batter until they are just over halfway full. Do not overfill the paper baking cups!
- Place the filled paper baking cups into the preheated oven on the center rack.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then remove the cupcakes.
- Place them on a wire baking rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting them.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave according to the package directions.
- Carefully spoon some of the red chocolate candy melts into the silicone molds.
- Spread the chocolate out very carefully.
- Gently bounce the mold on the cabinet to release any air bubbles in the chocolate.
- Refrigerate the molds for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chocolate is hard.
- Carefully remove the chocolate hearts from the mold by peeling back the silicone mold.
- Now use a paintbrush to add the gold metallic edible paint to the indentation in the one chocolate star.
- Refrigerate the molded chocolate until you are ready to use it.
Cupcake Filling Directions:
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water to create an ice bath.
- Add 1 inch of water to the bottom of a 10-inch saucepan.
- Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Combine the chocolate, coffee, water and sugar in a medium heatproof metal bowl.
- Place the bowl in the saucepan that contains the simmering water.
- Stir the mixture in the bowl occasionally until the chocolate is melted and the sugar is dissolved. This should take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat source.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and place it in the ice bath.
- Whisk the mixture vigorously until the mixture reaches 60 degrees Fahrenheit. The mixture should be the consistency of heavy cream. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Attach one of the injector tips to the cream whipper.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream whipper taking care to keep the mixture under the maximum fill line.
- Attach one N2O charger to the cream whipper and charge the contents.
- Shake the cream whipper vertically at least 16 times, but no more than 20 times.
- Set the cream whipper aside for 1 minute.
- Invert the cream whipper and insert the injector tip into the center of the cooled cupcake and inject the filling into the center of the cupcake. Take care to not over inject it or the filling will blow the side of the cupcake out! A little goes a long ways!
Cupcake Decorating Decorations:
- Pipe a large blob of chocolate icing on top of the cupcake.
- Sprinkle the icing with the chocolate flakes and the candies.
- Press the decorated chocolate heart into the icing.
- Position the mini Oreo Cookie behind the heart.
- Return the cupcakes to the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven + Stovetop
Keywords: easy Valentines Day cupcake decorating ideas, valentines day cupcakes, valentines day cupcake ideas, valentines day cupcake decorations
Final Thoughts About These Easy Valentine’s Day Cupcake Decorating Ideas
For those who do not have a whipping siphon and do not want to purchase one, an alternative way to fill these cupcakes is by using a Wilton piping bag.
Of course, the center filling won’t be exactly the same, but the filling will still taste good.
Another alternative is to buy the chocolate decorations for the top of the cake instead of make them.
I prefer to make mine because then I can customize them so they look exactly the way I want them to.
I hope you will give this recipe and these easy Valentine’s Day cupcake decorating ideas a try.
I also hope you enjoy eating these delicious cupcakes as much as we did!
I highly recommend the following articles:
- Eggless Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
- How To Make Red Velvet Cupcakes From Scratch
- All About Valentine’s Day Round Up
- New Years Eve Cupcake Ideas
- Easter Basket Cupcakes
Use the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to share this article with friends or family who might find it useful. Pin the picture below to your pinboard on Pinterest for future reference.
Feel free to leave your comments or questions below!