- Put the water , lime juice. powdered licorice root and sugar in a stainless steel saucepan and brought it to a boil.
- Continue to boil it – stirring continually – until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside.
- Place the cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves and peppercorns into the bottom of a half-gallon canning jar.
- Put the pitted cherries – along with their juice – on top of the spices.
- Add the hot sugar water to the jar.
- Place a plastic screw-on lid made for canning jars on the jar and set it aside to cool.
- Once the contents of the jar are cool to the touch, refrigerate it.
- These cherries are tart – so pair them with whipped cream or a sweet dessert such as homemade ice cream.
- If you wish to make a larger batch and preserve them, fill quart jars to 1/2 inch from the top and process the jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Note: These are delicious in homemade ice cream recipes!