This is a very rich, heavy cake that is a perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea.
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons strawberries pureed
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon + 1 drop bourbon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 19 Lemon Rose Scented Geranium Leaves
- Extra strawberries to decorate the cake with
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter the pans and lay 12 of the scented geranium leaves in the bottom of the pan.
- Use a mixer to whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and mix to combine.
- Add the eggs – one at a time – and mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the egg cream mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Add one cup of strawberries and 1 teaspoon of the bourbon vanilla paste.
- Continue mixing until the strawberries are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Carefully spoon the cake batter on top of the scented geranium leaves.
- Fill the cake pans with the remaining batter. Do not overfill the cake pans. The batter should be about halfway up the side of the cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Place the confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Crush and break apart four of the scented geranium leaves. Place them on top of the confectioners sugar.
- Beat the egg white until it is frothy, then add it to the confectioners sugar.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla paste and the three tablespoons of strawberries to the mixing bowl.
- Whip the icing until it is smooth. It is going to be runny.
- Pour the icing over the first layer of the cake.
- Slice strawberries as thinly as possible and lay on top of the icing.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the strawberries and pour icing over it.
- Decorate the cake with the three remaining scented geranium leaves and some strawberry slices.