- 2½ cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, soft, plus 4 Tablespoons
- ¼ cup softened shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Red Velvet extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon red gel food color
- Cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- red gel food coloring
- 1 Icing Duets Piping Bag fitted with large star tip
- 1 package of chocolate cookie sticks cut into thirds
- chocolate sauce to drizzle for topping
- 1 package Red Velvet Oreo Cookies
- 1 package of Wilton white candy melts
- 1 package Wilton milk chocolate candy melts
- 1 Wilton chocolate square mold
- 1 candy transfer sheet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Place the butter, shortening and sugar into a large bowl and beat together the contents until it is light and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla, red velvet extract and red gel food coloring. Stir until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter sugar mixture alternating with the milk until they are well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the paper cupcake liners, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Do not overfill.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 21 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven, use a toothpick to make sure they are done and if they are, remove them from the cupcake pan and set them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- If the cupcakes are not done, return them to the oven and bake them a few more minutes until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, go ahead and frost them using the instructions below.
- Gather all the ingredients mentioned above in the frosting ingredients section.
- Put the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream in a large bowl and beat it using an electric stand mixer until it is smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Divide the frosting and put it into two seperate bowls.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl and mix it into the frosting until it is well combined.
- Make the candy decorations by carefully popping out the square pieces from your candy sheet.
- Follow the directions on the candy sheet on how to place them in the square mold.
- Scoop melted milk chocolate or white chocolate onto the candy piece in the mold
- Allow the chocolate to harden completely before removing
Frosting And Decorating Decorations:
- Place the piping bag into a large cup and fold the sides over the edge
- Scoop some red frosting into one side of the piping bag.
- Scoop white frosting into the other side of the piping bag.
- Pipe the cooled cupcakes with the frosting.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce onto the cupcakes.
- Place a Red Velvet Oreo Cookie into the center of the cupcake.
- Place a chocolate piece in front of the Oreo Cookie.
- Place a cookie stick behind the Oreo Cookie to hold it in place.
- The cupcakes are now ready to serve.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
Keywords: red velvet cupcakes from scratch, red velvet cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes recipe, red velvet cupcakes decoration, red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese