- 2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup cold water (affiliate link)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour 1/3 cup of cold water (affiliate link) into a large bowl. Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin on top of the water (affiliate link) and allow it to sit – undisturbed – for five minutes.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/3 cup water (affiliate link) in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue to boil the mixture – stirring occasionally – until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage which is 238 degrees F.
- Begin mixing the gelatin and water (affiliate link) together using a mixer on the lowest speed. Slowly add the hot syrup to the gelatin mixture while continuing to mix.
- Once the two liquids are combined, gradually increase the speed of the mixer until it is on high speed.
- Once the liquids look thick, white and are triple the volume you began with (this process takes about 12 minutes), add the vanilla and beat for 30 seconds.
- Quickly pour the marshmallow mixture into greased molds or spread it out on a greased cookie sheet to dry.
- Once the marshmallow mixture is cool, unmold it or use greased cookie cutters (affiliate link) to cut it into the shapes you desire.