- Simmer the marshmallow roots in the orange flower water for thirty minutes. Add additional orange water if necessary.
- Remove the marshmallow roots, carefully saving the water and mucilaginous gel. Place this in the top of a double boiler.
- Bring the water in the bottom of the double boiler to a boil. Sit the pan with the marshmallow gel on top of the pan with the water in it.
- Add the gum arabic to the marshmallow water mixture and stir until the gum arabic is completely dissolved.
- Quickly stir in the sugar.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved, add the egg whites, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat source and quickly pour the marshmallow mixture into greased molds or spread it out on a greased cookie sheet to dry.
- Once the marshmallow mixture is cool, unmold it or use greased cookie cutters to cut it into the shapes you desire.
Tips: Use fresh marshmallow roots whenever possible. Make sure the roots are not too woody – and if you are using dried roots, be sure they are not moldy. The mucilaginous gel the marshmallow roots give off when placed in water is equal to twice the weight of the root.
Keywords: marshmallow root recipe, homemade marshmallow recipe