- 1 loaf French bread cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped banana
- 6 lightly beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen strawberries in heavy syrup, thawed
- To make the filling, combine the strawberry jam, cream cheese, and fruit in a small bowl.
- Cut your bread into 1 1/2 inch slices and make a pocket in each one by cutting a slit into the bread from almost the top to the bottom on one side. Be careful not to cut though the bread because this pocket is where your filling goes.
- Put one heaping tablespoon of filling into the pocket and then close the pocket by pressing the sides together.
- Put the eggs and the milk in a bowl and beat them until they are well combined.
- Lay the bread – one slice at a time – in this mixture making sure to turn the bread over so both sides are coated.
- In a large skillet, heat three tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, place one to two pieces of the coated bread into the pan and cook it on one side until it is golden brown.
- Turn the bread over and cook the other side.
- Depending on the amount of French Toast you are making, you might want to put it into a 150 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven to keep it warm while you cook the rest of the French toast.
For those who have never made stuffed French toast and are not sure if this is something you want to try, let me say this recipe is really simple. In fact, once you try it, you might find yourself making it more often. This is a delicious French toast for breakfast on normal weekend mornings or for a special snack. This recipe makes enough for eight people, so if you are planning on more for your brunch, simply increase the recipe so you have enough for everyone.