- 12 eggs
- 1 ¼ c. sugar
- 4 c. whole milk
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. ground nutmeg
- 2 c. evaporated milk
- 2 c. half and half
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a medium glass bowl and whisk until they are thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and stir in the whole milk, vanilla extract, and ground nutmeg.
- In a separate glass bowl, stir the evaporated milk and half and half until combined.
- Heat the egg mixture over medium-low heat while stirring constantly to prevent the milk from scorching.
- When the mixture reaches 160 degrees on a candy thermometer, remove the pan from heat and slowly whisk in the evaporated milk mixture.
- Cool slightly before tasting.
- Add more sugar or nutmeg, if desired, before transferring to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate overnight or until thoroughly chilled.
- Serve in mugs and garnish with whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, or a dash of nutmeg.
Note: For an adults-only version, add some rum, bourbon, or cognac to taste.