- 20 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon ground mace
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of honey – optional, used to thicken the sauce
- Begin by putting 20 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes into your steamer juicer or into a foley mill or chessecloth.
- When the tomatoes are juiced, remove the pulp and put the pulp in a stainless steel sauce pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, bring to a boil and cook for thirty minutes.
- Taste it to see if you prefer to add other ingredients such as fresh ground black pepper .
- When the sauce is the consistency of store bought sauce, ladle it into hot, sterilized pint canning jars .
- Wipe the jar rims, lid and band until fingertip tight.
- Place the cans in a cold pack canner and process for twenty minutes.
- Remove the lid from the canner .
- Let the jars sit for five minutes, then remove the jars and let them cool.
- When the jars are completely cooled, check to make sure they are sealed. If not, use immediately or put on a new lid and reseal.
- Category: condiments
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: homemade bbq sauce, homemade bbq sauce easy, homemade bbq sauce for ribs