- 1 green tomato about to ripen
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Vegetable Oil
- Slice the green tomato into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Add a tablespoon or two of oil to a large skillet. Turn the burner to medium heat and heat the oil until it is hot but not smoking. Do not allow the oil to start to smoke as it can burst into flames. If this happens, use baking soda to extinguish the flames.
- Sprinkle some flour on a plate and add a little salt and pepper if desired. Mix well.
- Coat both sides of the green tomato with the flour mixture then place the floured tomato slice into the pan with the hot oil. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Cook for 2 to 5 minutes per side. You want to tomato to be brown, but not burnt. I like mine to be pretty crispy.
- Set the cooked tomatoes on a paper towel lined plate and cover them with another layer of paper toweling. This helps to soak up any excess grease and keep them warm.
- I like to sprinkle a little extra salt on mine before I eat them. This is optional.
- Serve hot!