- Key Lime Box Cake Mix
- Key Lime Frosting
- Edible grass
- Candy bunnies
- Candy basket handles
- First I followed the directions for making the cake batter. I made 12 cupcakes and poured the remaining batter into a rose shaped bundt pan. It did not fill the pan – and that was ok. When using a bundt pan be sure to generously grease it or your cake is liable to get stuck.
- Once the cake and cupcakes were finished baking, I allowed them to cool on a cake rake for 10 minutes. I removed the cupcakes right away, but did not try to remove the cake until the ten minutes were up. When it was time to remove the cake, I gently pulled the outer edges away from the pan and used a knife to loosen the center area. Be gentle when doing this and work your way around the edge loosing a little at a time. If you get into too big of a hurry, the cake will tear.
- Once the cake is out of the pan, allow it to continue to cool while you work on the cupcakes. Begin by leveling the top of the cupcakes. A knife is an easy way to do this although they do make special cake cutters. The goal is to make sure the top of the cupcake is flat. This makes decorating it easier.
- Once the cupcakes are all level, spread a light layer of icing on them. Here is the trick to getting a smooth, light layer of icing on a cake or cupcake. Fill a cup or glass with the hottest tap water (affiliate link) you have. Place your icing knife (I use a butter knife) in the hot water (affiliate link) and let it sit a minute or so. Dip it into the icing and begin spreading the icing on the cake or cupcake. It is ok to dip the knife back into the water (affiliate link) to thin the icing or get it to spread easier. Continue this process until you are finished icing both the cupcakes and the bundt cake. I did a very thin layer of icing on the bundt cake so I could see the rose design on it.
- The next step is to gently insert the basket handle into the cupcake. Make sure to have it properly positioned before you begin inserting it. Once the handle is in place, add the grass. You can use as much or as little as you want.
- The next step is to add a candy bunny into the center of the basket. Follow these steps until all twelve baskets are complete. In the event that some of the candy handles are broken (as some of mine were), simply omit the handles and alternate the cupcakes so every other one has a handle. I had four broken handles so three of the cupcakes went in the back of the cake, alternated and one went into the hole in the top of the bundt cake.