- Measure the three quarts of goat milk and pour all but one cup into a stainless steel pan.
- Add the three cups of sugar to the pan and stir.
- Add the cornstarch and baking soda to the cup of milk you set aside.
- Mix until the cornstarch and baking soda are dissolved.
- Pour this mixture into the pan with the milk and sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Bring the mixture to a boil – stirring constantly. This mixture will stick to the bottom of the pan and start to burn fairly quickly so paying close attention and constantly stirring it is important.
- Cook the mixture until it is thick and creamy. It should look like caramel but still be pourable.
- When the Cajeta is finished cooking to your liking, pour it into sterilized canning jars making sure to leave 1/2 inch headspace at the top of the jars.
- Place the sterilized lids and bands on the jars, tighting the bands until they are finger tip tight.
- Place the sealed jars into a hot water bath canner filled with boiling water .
- Put the lid on the canner and listen for the sound of it to start boiling again.
- Set your timer for twenty minutes.
- Remove the jars at the end of this time and allow them to cool.
- Check the seal after 24 hours.
- Label and store in a cool, dark, dry place.
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: cajeta goat milk caramel, goat milk recipes, caramel recipe, caramel recipe easy, caramel recipe sauce